COLUMBIA, SC — South Carolinas two candidates for governor in 2014 raised more than $1.5 million from July to September.
Republican Gov. Nikki Haleys campaign said it brought in more than $950,000 in 2013s third quarter, leaving her campaign with $3.2 million available to spend, according to a news release.
Democratic state Sen. Vincent Sheheens campaign said it had raised $565,507 during the same period, giving his campaign $1 million in cash on hand as of Sept. 30.
Combined, the pair have on hand about half of the $8 million they raised during their 2010 race, which Haley won by 4.5 percentage points.
Winthrop University political scientist Scott Huffmon said Haley is building a large war chest quickly because this will be a bruising fight.
She is doing a really good job of cashing in a lot favors from the presidential race, Huffmon said, referring to Haleys early backing of 2012 GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney. She became a national favorite and has parlayed that recognition into big fundraising numbers.
Sheheen has done well raising money as well in the quarters since he announced his 2014 candidacy, Huffmon said, adding, Sheheen needs to capitalize on Democratic anger about the (federal government) shutdown.
Haley has raised $2,147,167.28 from S.C. donors, or 50.2 percent of her total contributions. The remainder -- $2,126,039.79, or 49.8 percent -- came from donors in 47 other states.The third quarter was Haleys largest fundraising total of this election cycle, which dates back to April 2011.
But it is not the largest of Haleys political career. The former Lexington County state representative raised $2.2 million during 2010s third quarter, just before the November 2010 election.
We are tremendously grateful for and overwhelmed by the outpouring of support Gov. Haley received from friends, old and new, who see the results she is delivering for the people of South Carolina and who want to see our states progress continue, Tim Pearson, Haleys political advisor, said in a news release.
Sheheen raised slightly more money that Haley in this years second quarter, which ended June 30, by bringing in $611,314 during his first three months as a 2014 candidate.
While Sheheen did not raise as much money as Haley in the latest quarter, his campaign noted Haley has been raising money since taking office in 2011. Also, the Sheheen camp added, an overwhelming majority of the Camden Democrats donors are from South Carolina.
Sheheen has raised $1.1 million from S.C. donors 92 percent of his total. Sheheen has raised $93,658 from donors outside of South Carolina.
The outpouring of support for Vincent Sheheens vision to create jobs and build an economy from within South Carolina has been tremendous, Andrew Whalen, Sheheens campaign manager, said in a news release. In just over five months, our campaign has received more than a million dollars from hardworking South Carolinians.
However, Huffmon suggested Sheheen might need to start seeking more contributors from outside the state to avoid falling too far behind Haley in the money race.
Sheheen, an attorney, received more than $175,000 in campaign contributions from attorneys and law firms about 30 percent of his haul during the latest quarter.
Notable Sheheen contributors included Blue Cross and Blue Shield of South Carolina insurance firm and its chief executive, David Pankau; former Springs Industries chairwoman Crandall Bowles; and a company run by former University of South Carolina basketball coach Eddie Fogler.
Neither gubernatorial candidate has a primary challenger.
Reach Beam at (803) 386-7038