A faulty appliance sparked a fire Monday that damaged a Beaufort home's kitchen and dining room, according to the Beaufort-Port Royal Fire Department.
Firefighters were alerted to a fire on Meritta Avenue at about 11:15 a.m. after a neighbor spotted smoke in the house's front windows, fire Capt. John Robinson said. Robinson said the fire was extinguished within about 20 minutes.
No one was home at the time of the fire, and no one was injured, Robinson said. About 30 firefighters responded.
The house had smoke and water damage and minor structural damage. Robinson said the family was displaced, and the Red Cross was called to assist them.