Hilton Head man gets 30 years for back-to-back bank robberies

dburley@islandpacket.comAugust 29, 2013 

A Hilton Head Island man who robbed a bank in Bluffton in May, and a second on Hilton Head the next day, will spend up to 30 years in prison after pleading guilty Thursday.

David Edward Boyd, 51, entered guilty pleas to six charges, including two counts of entering a bank with intent to steal and two counts of making a bomb threat.

Authorities say Boyd robbed a Bank of America in Bluffton on May 1 after he told a teller he had a bomb.

The unidentified teller, who was nine months pregnant, handed more than $1,200 to Boyd, who fled in a green Honda Civic, according to assistant solicitor Ben Shelton.

The next day, Boyd walked into the Bank of America on Hatton Place on Hilton Head and showed the teller, Courtney Hayes, a note claiming he had a bomb, according to the Beaufort County Sheriff's Office.

Hayes, 24, said she had just finished organizing the cash in her drawer when she looked up and saw Boyd approaching the counter. She recognized him from surveillance photos from the Bluffton bank.

"I thought, 'Oh my God, he's here,' " Hayes said in an interview after Thursday's hearing. "I was in shock. How could you do it a second day when everyone is already looking for you?"

Hayes said Boyd whispered that he had a bomb and she should hand over "big bills."

She complied, and Boyd left without incident.

Less than an hour later, deputies spotted him on Museum Street near the bank and, after a brief chase, arrested him in a parking lot of a nearby Burger King, according to the Sheriff's Office.

Authorities say witnesses' descriptions and surveillance footage matched that of the man who had robbed the Bluffton bank the day before.

Boyd spent eight years in federal prison for robbing two banks in Naples, Fla., in 1995, Shelton said.

Boyd had lived on the island since 2010, where he worked as a cook at a restaurant and as a deli manager at a grocery store, according to Shelton.

During a statement to Judge Carmen Mullen, Boyd said he'd been rehabilitated after his first stint in prison, but a nagging back injury led to an addiction to painkillers that he turned to crime to fund.

"I was a working man until two days before I was arrested," he said.

Related content:

The Island Packet is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service