Injured Beaufort police officer recovering in Charleston hospital

mmcnab@beaufortgazette.comAugust 15, 2013 

First Sgt. Chris Cushman


The Beaufort police officer struck by a vehicle on Boundary Street last week underwent surgery Thursday to repair some of his injuries.

First Sgt. Chris Cushman, 45, had the operation at the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston. Doctors repaired his injured leg and placed a pin in his arm, his wife, Charlotte, said.

The pin is designed to stabilize the arm and allow Cushman to use crutches as he continues his recovery, she said.

Cushman, in MUSC's surgical trauma intensive care unit, remained in serious condition after the surgery, according to hospital spokeswoman Sarah Pack. The surgery ended about 8 p.m., Charlotte Cushman said.

Injuries to the left side of Cushman's body included fractured ribs, Charlotte Cushman said.

A full-time officer with the department since 1992, Cushman was trying to clear an accident along Boundary Street at about 9 p.m. on Aug. 9 when he was hit by a car.

Cushman was airlifted from Beaufort Memorial Hospital to MUSC that night; his wife drove to the hospital with a friend and has been in Charleston since.

The couple's seven children remain in Beaufort in the care of friends and their oldest child, 19-year-old Zach.

Since the accident, Charlotte Cushman has used social media to update friends and family on her husband's status. The community has responded with calls, texts and cards, she said.

"Chris knows so many people, so we don't want them to be fearful about this," she said. "We want them to have information so they can better process it. We're trusting the Lord in this situation, and that there's a purpose for this.

Chris is a really strong guy, and we're very optimistic."

Charlotte said her husband had been in good spirits while in the hospital.

"He loves the department, and he loves the town," she said.

An investigation into the crash continues, and charges could still be filed against the car's driver, S.C. Highway Patrol spokeswoman Bridget Wyant said Thursday.

Follow reporter Matt McNab at

Related content:

The Island Packet is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service