Fire damages home in Hardeeville

info@islandpacket.comJuly 12, 2013 

Lightning is believed to have caused a fire that significantly damaged a Hardeeville home early Friday morning.

About a third of the house on Stiney Road was extensively damaged by fire, smoke and water, Hardeeville Fire Department Chief Daniel Morgan said. Damage was confined to the living room and kitchen.

No one was injured in the fire, which was reported at about 4:35 a.m. after a neighbor alerted the homeowner. The homeowner reported that she believed the home had been struck by lightning at about 11 p.m. Thursday, but she had not noticed any damage at the time.

Morgan said the strike likely caused a short in the electrical system, which smoldered and led to flames.

The woman was helped by the local American Red Cross, which provided financial assistance for food and clothing, basic hygiene items and referrals to partner agencies.

The Island Packet is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service