St. Helena home destroyed by fire

info@islandpacket.comJune 3, 2013 

A St. Helena Island home was destroyed late Sunday by a fire that began in a clothes dryer, displacing a family of four, according to the Lady's Island-St. Helena Fire District.

Firefighters arrived at the double-wide mobile home on Edding White Road just after midnight, according to fire district spokesman Lee Levesque. Flames and heavy smoke emitted from the back door, he said.

Two adults and two children escaped safely, Levesque said.

The Lowcountry Chapter of the American Red Cross is helping the family by providing money to replace food and clothing, and providing comfort kits and referrals to agencies to assist with long-term recovery, according to a news release.

The Island Packet is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service