Fire consumes Hardeeville home

info@islandpacket.comMay 15, 2013 

An early Wednesday fire consumed a small woodworking shop along with the attached apartment in Hardeeville, displacing a woman who lived there, according to the Hardeeville Fire Department.

Firefighters arrived to 106 Sanders Road at about 2 a.m. after the woman called 911 when she woke up to smoke and flames, said Fire Chief Dan Morgan. About half of the structure was on fire, and by the time crews got the blaze under control an hour later, it had been completely destroyed, Morgan said.

The fire appeared to have started in the kitchen of the apartment, located just behind the woodworking shop.The American Red Cross provided the woman with temporary lodging at a nearby hotel, money for food and clothing along with a comfort kit with basic hygiene items.

The Island Packet is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service