Burton family temporarily displaced after stove fire

info@islandpacket.comApril 25, 2013 

A fire at a home in Burton has left a family of four temporarily displaced.

A small stove fire at a mobile home in the Deerfield Mobile Home Park off Bruce K. Smalls Drive occurred at about 6 a.m. Thursday, Burton Fire District Chief Debora Lewis said.

Firefighters extinguished the fire in about 10 minutes. No one was injured, but the family -- a grandmother, her son and his two sons -- will be out of their home temporarily.

Lewis said the fire caused some minor damage to electrical wires, which will need to be repaired before the family moves back in.

The Red Cross provided the family with short-term shelter and referrals to partner agencies to assist with their long-term recovery.

The Island Packet is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service