Kitchen fire temporarily displaces five in Port Royal

info@islandpacket.comMarch 13, 2013 

A kitchen fire led to an electrical outage, displacing three adults and two children in Port Royal on Wednesday afternoon.

The fire was caused by a pot with grease in it on the stove of the West Paris Avenue home, according to Beaufort/Port Royal Fire Department spokesman John Robinson.

A woman and three children were inside at the time. She got her family out and a neighbor came over to smother the flames. The neighbor took the pot outside, where responding firefighters found it.

Robinson said the flames were restricted to the stove, but short-circuited the hood on the stove, tripping and breaker. Power could not be restored Wednesday, so the

American Red Cross put them up in a hotel and provided comfort kits containing personal emergency supplies, like toiletries.

Robinson said smothering flames is the correct way to react to a grease fire, and cautioned people that kitchen fires are some of the most common causes of home fires.

"People need to pay attention in the kitchen and be careful and take extra precautions," he said.

This is the fourth kitchen fire so far this year.

The Island Packet is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service