Port Royal blaze sparked by dryer

Staff reportsMarch 10, 2013 

A fire that sparked in a dryer on the back porch of a Port Royal home spread to the kitchen and the attic Saturday afternoon, displacing three adults, according to the Beaufort Fire Department.

Chief Sammy Negron said firefighters arrived at 2 p.m. to the single-story home on Greenway Court, where the blaze already had spread to other parts of the home.

Firefighters launched a "quick attack" and kept the fire from causing further damage, Negron said. Because of smoke and fire damage, three adults were given temporary housing and other items by the Lowcountry chapter of the American Red Cross.

"The guys were able to save most of the home," Negron said.

Negron said an investigation showed the fire had started inside the dryer. From his experience, he said that usually happens when a lint trap hasn't been cleaned or other debris has been left near the dryer that could catch fire when the dryer gets hot.

The Island Packet is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service