PHOTO: Dilapidated home on Beaufort's Duke Street comes down

February 4, 2013 

nwsDUKEHOUSE0205sw01

Chino Fuentes, left, and Bryan Thompson, right, of Beaufort's NBM Builders decide where to loop a chain Monday morning while working to tear down the house at 1411 Duke Street in Beaufort. Historic preservationists opposed Moss' first request for demolition in 2010. However, after further inspection last month Maxine Lutz, interim director of the Historic Beaufort Foundation, said her organization would no longer oppose it because the house lacked historical significance. Moss bought the house in 2007 for $206,000 as part of a group called Beaufort Six. He plans to build several two-story buildings, with commercial space on the first floors and apartments on the second floors.

SARAH WELLIVER, STAFF PHOTO

Chino Fuentes, left, and Bryan Thompson, right, of Beaufort's NBM Builders decide where to loop a chain Monday morning while working to tear down the house at 1411 Duke St. in Beaufort.

Historic preservationists opposed owner and local attorney Jim Moss' first request for demolition in 2010. However, after further inspection last month Maxine Lutz, interim director of the Historic Beaufort Foundation, said her organization would no longer oppose it because the house lacked historical significance.

Moss bought the house in 2007 for $206,000 as part of a group called Beaufort Six. He plans to build several two-story buildings, with commercial space on the first floors and apartments on the second floors.

The Island Packet is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service