Seabrook manhunt ends with one in custody

February 1, 2013 

A three-hour-long manhunt for two suspects in a Seabrook home burglary has ended with one of the suspects in custody.

Just after 11 a.m., Beaufort County Sheriff's deputies arrested a 15-year-old boy suspected of burglarizing a home on Seabrook Road earlier Friday morning.

The other suspect has not been found, but investigators are working to verify his identity, according to a news release from the Beaufort County Sheriff's Office.

At about 9 a.m. deputies responded to a burglary in progress at 70 Seabrook Road, according to a news release from the Sheriff's Office.

The victim said two young, black males had broken a window and entered her home. She locked herself in a bedroom and called law enforcement. It's not clear if anything was stolen from the home.

When deputies arrived, the men ran from the home toward Detour Road, according to the release.

A perimeter was established around Seabrook and Detour roads. Members of the Sheriff's Office K9 Tracking Team were tracking the suspects, who had been spotted in the woods several times.

Beaufort County School District spokesman Jim Foster said Whale Branch Early College High School was placed on "modified lockdown" at about 9:40 a.m. A modifed lockdown means instruction continues as usual, but students are restricted from moving around outside and in hallways. The lockdown was called off by 10:50 a.m., and the high school resumed with typical operation.

Chris Barrow, Beaufort County School District's Protective Services Coordinator, said the modified lockdown was a precautionary measure taken in cooperation with the Sheriff's Office and the school resource officer. Lockdowns are done primarily when law enforcement requests them, Barrow said.

Nearby Whale Branch Elementary and Middle schools were not put on lockdown.

"The other schools were not involved because (the suspects) were nowhere near the other schools, and the area (they) ran to was in the opposite direction of the other schools," Barrow said. "(Whale Branch High officials) did not believe (students) were in any danger at any time. They just wanted to make sure their fields were clear of any students so the investigators could do their search."

Check back with the Island Packet and the Beaufort Gazette as more details become available.

The Island Packet is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service