Beaufort man accused of dealership bomb threat

info@islandpacket.comJanuary 31, 2013 

Released from jail less than two weeks ago, a 39-year-old Beaufort man was charged Thursday with phoning a bomb threat to a local car dealership.

An employee of Dan Vaden Chevrolet-Cadillac in Beaufort reported at about 10 a.m. that an anonymous caller said everyone needed to get out of the building because he had put a bomb inside, according to Beaufort County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Sgt. Robin McIntosh. The building was evacuated and searched by the Sheriff's Office Bomb Squad, but nothing was found, McIntosh said.

The call was traced to a pay phone near a gas station on Trask Parkway in Beaufort. Tarrie Daniel Reynolds was identified by deputies through the store's video surveillance footage, according to a news release.

Reynolds faces one felony charge of making a commercial bomb threat. He was still in the Beaufort County Detention Center late Thursday awaiting a bond hearing.

Reynolds was arrested by Beaufort police Dec. 11 for trying to steal a leather recliner from a storage unit behind Big Lots, according to Beaufort Police Chief Matt Clancy. He pleaded guilty Jan. 22 to third-degree burglary, according to court records. He had spent 63 days in the Beaufort County jail when Judge Michael Nettles sentenced him to five years in prison, suspended if he served one year of probation and 40 hours of community service, Clancy said.

The motive for the threat and Reynolds' connection to the dealership are unknown, the Sheriff's Office said.

The Island Packet is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service