Fire at Skull Creek Boathouse Restaurant causes little damage

January 28, 2013 

A fire broke out at Skull Creek Boathouse Restaurant on Hilton Head Island overnight, but there was little damage according to a news release from Hilton Head Island Fire and Rescue.

Firefighters responded to the fire at about 1:39 a.m. Monday. The main area of the restaurant, located at 397 Squire Pope Road, was filled with heavy smoke. No one was in the restaurant at the time.

The sprinkler system had been activated, which contained the fire, according to the release. The fire began in the wood storage area for the indoor fire place and appeared to be caused by a smoldering piece of firewood. There was very little fire damage, according to the release.

Three engines, the truck company, a medic unit and the battalion chief responded to the restaurant.

Check back with The Island Packet and Beaufort Gazette for updates.

The Island Packet is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service