PHOTO: Firefighters extinguish flames on Hilton Head after ethanol leak

info@islandpacket.comDecember 27, 2012 

Sea Pines resident Mike Schilder stands nearby as firefighters with Hilton Head Island Fire & Rescue clear debris after ethanol leaked beneath their ethanol fireplace and ignited the surrounding wood boards. "We've had it for two years, this has never happened," said Susan Schilder, Mike's wife.

SARAH WELLIVER

Sea Pines resident Mike Schilder watches Hilton Head Island firefighters clear debris Thursday after an ethanol leak beneath his home's fireplace ignited wooden framing inside a wall. Susan Schilder, his wife, said she called 911 after seeing flames between the fireplace and the wall at 2:50 p.m. A smoke alarm sounded about 45 minutes after the fireplace insert was filled with ethanol. The fire caused between $500 and $1,000 in damage to the home off Governors Road.

The Island Packet is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service