Beaufort man charged a year after Seabrook home invasion

achristnovich@beaufortgazette.comDecember 13, 2012 

Travon Lamar Williams

A Beaufort man was arrested Tuesday night in connection with an armed robbery at a Seabrook home last year in which two people were held at gunpoint and one was assaulted.

Travon Lamar Williams, 20, had eluded arrest since the home invasion on Oct. 6, 2011. He was named a suspect in July and arrested on the robbery charges after he was pulled over Tuesday for a traffic violation, according to the Beaufort County Sheriff's Office.

Williams and Douglas Paul Major Jr., 26, are accused of entering the home on Seabrook Road, holding two residents at gunpoint and stealing $375 in cash and a $50 cellphone.

Major hit a 27-year-old man over the head with the butt of a handgun, while Williams held a 24-year-old woman at gunpoint in a different room, according to Sheriff's Office reports.

A 2-year-old girl and 1-year-old boy were also in the home, and both men threatened to "kill them all" if they didn't give them money, the reports said. The injured man was treated by paramedics but not taken to a hospital.

Major, who was living about two miles away from the Seabrook Road home, was arrested about a week later because the victims recognized him and told deputies his name, according to the reports.

Williams, however, wasn't identified as a suspect until July. The victims picked him out of a photo lineup after assistant solicitor Jeffrey Stephens told deputies he might be a suspect, according to Sheriff's Office reports.

Deputies were unable to find Williams until he was pulled over for a traffic violation Tuesday, according to Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Sgt. Robin McIntosh.

Both men are charged with two counts of armed robbery with a deadly weapon, two counts of kidnapping, first-degree burglary and first-degree assault and battery, according to the county jail log.

Williams was in jail Thursday night, with bail set at $150,000. Major was fitted with an electronic monitoring anklet and released from jail in August, according to court records.

Follow reporter Anne Christnovich twitter.com/IPBG_CrimeNOB

Related content:

Port Royal man gets 18 years for home invasion, Oct. 26, 2012

Solicitor, Sheriff push sentencing reform, Sept. 29, 2012

Growing electronic monitoring program keeps tabs on criminals' whereabouts, Sept. 1, 2012

The Island Packet is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service