Tuesday fire hits Wexford home

info@islandpacket.comDecember 4, 2012 

A fire that started in the attic of a two-story home in Wexford Plantation early Tuesday did minimal damage, according to the Town of Hilton Head Fire & Rescue Division.

Firefighters arrived at 5:19 a.m. at the Wexford Drive house to find smoke coming from the attic. The two people inside the home got out safely, according to spokeswoman Joheida Fister.

Firefighters contained the blaze to a space above the first-floor ceiling and the enclosure of a brick fireplace flue. It was extinguished shortly after 6 a.m., and damaged only a small part of the attic.

Faulty electrical wiring appears to be the cause, the division said.

The Island Packet is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service