Part-time residents should get placards

info@islandpacket.comNovember 28, 2012 

The Bluffton office of the state Department of Motor Vehicles is illogical and stubborn.

Having received the DMV mailing about the new photo ID handicap parking placard, I first phoned the state DMV toll-free number because I have an out-of-state driver's license. I was told to go to our local DMV office with my doctor's form to get a photo ID to apply for the new placard.

At the Bluffton DMV, I was told that I could not obtain a photo ID because I had an out-of-state driver's license, and I should not have received a South Carolina placard when I was first injured.

How ridiculous and illogical it is to state that anyone who is injured in South Carolina while a resident here for three, four or five months or more cannot get a South Carolina handicap placard, but has to obtain a placard from the state of his or her legal residence, which can be hundreds or thousands of miles away.

Karl Barons

Sun City Hilton Head

The Island Packet is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service