St. Helena blaze started in fireplace

info@islandpacket.comNovember 19, 2012 

A fire that started in a fireplace spread throughout a room in a St. Helena Island home Sunday, probably because of a damaged chimney, according to the Lady's Island-St. Helena Fire District.

Firefighters arrived at the home on Janette Drive at about 2:30 p.m. and contained the blaze to the room where it started, according to district spokesman Lee Levesque. Other parts of the home might have been damaged by smoke, he said.

The family escaped safely and returned to the home after the fire was extinguished, Levesque said.

The Island Packet is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service