People owed money need more help from law

info@islandpacket.comOctober 5, 2012 

I have a client who has been awarded a cash judgment in civil court, and the judgment debtor has just thumbed his nose at her.

South Carolina law allows a debtor to get away with being irresponsible by way of exemptions. It's not right. If you can garnish wages to pay a child support obligation, then you should be allowed to garnish the wages of a debtor who has lost a case in civil court.

I have seen websites that brag about the fact that you can now claim an exemption to avoid paying a debt you owe, but they offer nothing to help the people who suffer from debtors' actions that prompt lawsuits.

William Reeves

Hilton Head Island

The Island Packet is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service