BEAUFORT

Thursday fire damages Beaufort house

info@islandpacket.comSeptember 14, 2012 

COURTESY OF MORGUEFILE.COM

A fire alarm is credited with quickly alerting Beaufort firefighters to flames at a Battery Creek home Thursday night, enabling them to save the house.

The residents were not injured, but two dogs had to be rescued and treated for smoke inhalation. A pet turtle died in the smoke.

The single-story home caught fire at about 8:40 p.m., and firefighters arrived to find heavy smoke billowing out, according to the Beaufort-Port Royal Fire Department. Fire Chief Sammy Negron said firefighters prevented the flames from spreading.

The fire was contained to one room, causing about $15,000 in damage. It appeared to have been started by a heat lamp falling on combustible materials, according to the fire department.

The Island Packet is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service