Kitchen fire displaces 2 Port Royal residents

info@islandpacket.comMay 14, 2012 

A kitchen fire damaged a Port Royal apartment Monday and temporarily displaced the couple living there.

The fire started on the stove at about 5:30 p.m. in Stuart Towne Apartments. The damage was contained to the immediate area, Beaufort/Port Royal Fire Department Capt. John Robinson said. However, firefighters had to break into the attic to ensure the fire had not spread to the other three apartments in the building.

The couple can return within a few days, and the American Red Cross is helping them with temporary housing, Robinson said.

Resident Joyce Brown said the wrong stove burner was turned on. She had recently arrived home from taking care of an elderly woman and was at her computer, checking grades from her online college, when one of her grandsons smelled smoke. She saw flames, they called 911 and got out of the apartment without incident.

The Island Packet is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service