Smoke detectors installed by Beaufort-Port Royal firefighters helped save the home of a Beaufort family early Wednesday, according to a news release.
The owner of a home on Morris Street said the smoke detector woke her around midnight. She went into the living room and discovered a fire had started behind an entertainment center, the release said. She used a mop bucket to extinguish the fire, which was out when firefighters arrived.
The fire department offers two free smoke alarms to all residents of Beaufort and Port Royal. To qualify, applicants must be residents of either town and own and live in the home.
Details: Call 843-525-7055 or email email@example.com.