Beaufort considers requiring carbon monoxide detectors

emoody@beaufortgazette.comFebruary 22, 2012 

  • Unborn babies, infants and people with chronic heart disease, anemia or respiratory problems are most susceptible to carbon monoxide poisoning, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Each year in America, carbon monoxide poisoning causes more than:

  • 20,000 emergency room visits

  • 4,000 hospitalizations

  • 400 deaths
  • Get breaking news, story updates and alerts about fun things to do in the city of Beaufort and surrounding areas by following Eye on Beaufort on Twitter.

Carbon monoxide detectors may become a requirement for new and renovated homes in the city of Beaufort where poisoning is possible, those with gas appliances or attached garages among them.

The state likely will make the detectors mandatory in the near future, even if the city does not, planning director Libby Anderson and building official Roni Abdella told City Council at a meeting Tuesday.

"We would like to get started in the city because of all the new houses that have been going up, and of course, because of the dangers with gas fireplaces and attached garages and things of that nature that could leak gas into our houses where our children are sleeping," Abdella said.

About half of new homes going up in the city have attached garages, Anderson said.

The S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control reported 13 unintentional carbon monoxide exposures in Beaufort County between 2006 and 2010.

Home improvement stores list carbon monoxide detectors for as low as $20 for battery-operated models to more than $100 for ones wired into homes. They are typically placed about halfway up walls between bedroom entrances.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that carbon monoxide, which is colorless, odorless and tasteless, is one of the most common causes of poisoning. It is in combustion fumes vehicles or gas engines or from burning wood, charcoal and gas.

"There is a risk of carbon monoxide poisoning in certain situations, and this we think would be a preventative measure for our citizens now and in the future," Anderson said.

Councilman Mike Sutton, a licensed builder, said the requirement could become expensive, especially for those renovating homes. Unless battery-operated units are used, the detectors would have to be wired into the house, which could be costly depending on the amount of wiring and repairs to the installation area.

Allen Patterson, president of the Home Builders Association of the Lowcountry, said the carbon monoxide detectors he typically installs cost about $108 for equipment and about $250 with labor. He thinks detectors are needed less in new homes than in older ones with aging furnaces and appliances.

Follow reporter Erin Moody at twitter.com/EyeonBeaufort.

Related content

  1. Check fireplaces before using them during the cold months
  2. Couple dies of carbon monoxide poisoning in Sun City home, May 6, 2010
  3. As cold lingers, fire officials worry about risks posed by portable heaters, Jan. 5, 2010

The Island Packet is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service