Fire damages roof of Burton home

info@islandpacket.comJanuary 14, 2012 

Fire and emergency crews were on the scene of a fire Saturday that badly damaged the roof of a home in Burton.

Firefighters from the Burton Fire District were called at about 8:30 a.m. after reports of fire coming from the roof of a two-story home in the 6000 block of Dowlingwood Drive, said Dan Byrne, district spokesman.

Byrne said the homeowner reported smelling smoke in the home as the fire, which is thought to have started in the chimney on the first floor, quickly spread through the walls and into the attic.

Firefighters were able to confine most of the fire to the attic area and used tarps to protect the residents' belongings on the first floor, Byrne said.

No injuries were reported.

The Beaufort/Port Royal Fire Department and the Parris Island Fire Department also responded, Byrne said.

The Island Packet is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service