Beaufort County school board OK's transfers to special programs at seven schools

rheaton@beaufortgazette.comJanuary 6, 2012 

  • The school board approved:

  • A motion that will move kindergarten from James J. Davis Early Childhood Center to Whale Branch Elementary School. Davis Early Childhood Center will house the Head Start program and pre-kindergarten classes. Whale Branch Elementary will have kindergartners through fourth-graders. The vote was unanimous, with board members Michael Rivers, Steven Morello and Wayne Carbiener absent.

    • Calendars for the 2012-13 school year. There will be separate calendars for the next school year -- one for schools in northern Beaufort County and one for schools in the southern part of the county. Students in southern Beaufort County will have a split spring break; they will have April 1-3, 2013, off and also April 18 and 19 to accommodate the RBC Heritage golf tournament. Otherwise, the calendars are identical. The first day of school is Aug. 20. The last day of school is June 7, 2013. The calendars were approved 7-1. Julie Bell voted no; Rivers, Morello and Carbiener were absent.

Students will be allowed to transfer next year to 10 Beaufort County schools that offer programs emphasizing the arts or science; however, students must qualify for acceptance to magnet programs at three of those schools.

The Beaufort County Board of Education voted 8-0 at its work session Friday to reopen transfers to programs in seven schools from next school year through 2015:

  • Lady's Island Elementary School, for its arts-infused program.

  • St. Helena Elementary School, for its science, technology, engineering and mathematics education program.

  • Joseph S. Shanklin Elementary School, for its emphasis on environmental science.

  • Lady's Island Middle School, for its STEM program.

  • Robert Smalls Middle School, for its STEM program.

  • Whale Branch Middle School, for its STEM program.

  • Battery Creek High School, for its tri-academy programs in informational technology and engineering, military science and aviation and arts and humanities.

  • Board members Michael Rivers, Steven Morello and Wayne Carbiener were absent.

    Programmatic transfers had been closed for the 2011-12 school year amid concerns families were picking and choosing which schools they wanted to go to regardless of their attendance zone.

    The district received more than 1,500 transfer requests for the 2010-11 school year and approved nearly 95 percent.

    More than 500 were for program choices.

    District staff recommended that programmatic transfers be allowed at those schools because they are underenrolled. The district's goal, Superintendent Valerie Truesdale said, is to bring enrollment to about 75 to 89 percent of the building's capacity.

    The board's conversation mainly centered on two concerns: That families use programmatic transfers to cherry-pick schools and that test scores at the schools transfer students leave will drop.

    Truesdale said staff will closely monitor transfers into the programs to ensure neither happens.

    The board also approved by an 8-0 vote a motion that called for district staff to develop more specific criteria for admission to the district's magnet programs -- the Advanced Math, Engineering and Science academies at Beaufort and Pritchardville elementary schools, the Montessori program at Beaufort Elementary, and the technical-college program at Whale Branch Early College High School.

    Students will have to meet academic and behavioral expectations to continue in those programs. Parents also will be required to be involved in the school if their child transfers into one of those programs.

    General transfer options, which aren't related to program differences, will continue to be available. The district allows students to transfer for health reasons, for instance, or for students assigned to schools where their race is the majority to attend schools where their race is in the minority.

    Transfer applications are typically due in early March, Truesdale said. No requests have been submitted for next school year.

    Follow reporter Rachel Heaton at twitter.com/HomeroomBft.

    Related content

    1. At Saturday session, school board tackles out-of-zone transfers; March, 19, 2011
    2. School district braces for transfer requests to new specialized programs; Feb. 10, 2011
    3. School district revamps transfer program to clarify rules, requirements; Jan. 29, 2010

    The Island Packet is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

    Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service