Crews are in local schools this month finishing about $33 million in summer construction projects intended to keep older buildings in good shape.
That price includes $5.2 million for new physical education buildings at Broad River and Mossy Oaks elementary schools and $6.6 million for eight roofing projects.
The remaining $21.6 million covers renovation projects at 26 schools, according to a recent presentation to the Beaufort County Board of Education by the district's construction officer, Chris Poe.
The district borrowed to pay for the capital improvements, some of which voters approved in bond referendums.
Most of the work has been completed, but crews will finish a few remaining projects this month and next, Poe said.
PROJECTS IN NORTHERN BEAUFORT COUNTY:
• Battery Creek High School: New darkroom built; ceiling replaced; locker rooms and athletics fields renovated; parking lot improved; heating and air conditioning in cafeteria and band area replaced
• Beaufort Elementary School: Exterior canopies and interior painted; carpet removed
• Beaufort Middle School: Interior painted; entrance improved; carpet replaced in office
• Beaufort High School: Door and lockers replaced; tennis courts and track resurfaced
• Broad River Elementary School: New front entrance built; restrooms added to media center; drainage improved; new floor installed in cafeteria; a new P.E. building scheduled to be completed in October
• Coosa Elementary School: Parking added; irrigation and sod added to playground
• Davis Early Childhood Education Center: New heating and air conditioning installed in computer lab; parking lot and drainage improved; new ceiling installed in cafeteria and corridors
• Lady's Island Middle School: Part of roof replaced; new gym floor installed; new ceiling and lights installed in some classrooms; new fence installed
• Lady's Island Elementary School: Part of roof replaced; new gym floor installed; restrooms added in gym; corridor lighting added
• Mossy Oaks Elementary School: Part of roof replaced; drainage improved; entrance improved; a new P.E. building scheduled to be completed in October
• Port Royal Elementary School: All classrooms painted; improvements made to multi-purpose room
• Robert Smalls Middle School: Restrooms remodeled; part of roof replaced; drainage improved; classroom windows replaced; new bleachers installed
• Shanklin Elementary School: Heating and air conditioning and water heater replaced; carpet removed; classroom counters and sinks replaced
• Shell Point Elementary School: Interior painted; part of roof replaced; new fence installed; stage floor replaced
• St. Helena Elementary School: New ceiling in cafeteria; entrance and gym improved
• Whale Branch Elementary School: New roof installed; canopy at bus drop-off extended; exterior painted
• Whale Branch Middle School: New roof installed; stage improved; drainage improved; parking lot improved; bleachers added; an entrance improvement scheduled to be finished in October
PROJECTS IN SOUTHERN BEAUFORT COUNTY:
• Bluffton Elementary School: Mobile classrooms removed; landscaping and drainage improved; carpet removed; a new staff parking lot is scheduled to be finished in October
• Bluffton High School: New gym lights installed; floors and awnings replaced; roof, window and exterior doors repaired
• H.E. McCracken Middle School: Mobile classrooms removed; halls painted; canopy at bus drop-off added; heating and air conditioning replaced; a partial roof replacement and new staff parking lot scheduled to be finished in October
• Hilton Head Island School for the Creative Arts: Floor replaced; interior painted; restrooms upgraded
• Hilton Head Island International Baccalaureate Elementary: All carpet replaced with new floors
• Hilton Head Island Middle School: Heating and air conditioning replaced; auditorium carpet replaced; kiln room upgraded; exterior painted
• Hilton Head Island High School: Kiln room and restrooms upgraded; track resurfaced; lockers replaced
• M.C. Riley Elementary School: Mobile classrooms removed; playground improved; restrooms upgraded; drainage improved; carpet removed; halls painted
• Okatie Elementary School: New floor installed in cafeteria