District honors top support staff employees
The Beaufort County School District announced its Support Staff Employees of the Year at last week's Board of Education meeting. Top employees include: Larry Martin, Battery Creek High; Denise Badger, Beaufort Elementary; Delta Griffin, Beaufort High; Ellen Rhoden, Beaufort Middle; Kelly Adams, Broad River Elementary; Connie Bonville, Coosa Elementary; Natasha Dortch, James J. Davis Early Childhood Center; LeAnne Holland, Joseph S. Shanklin Elementary; Denise Shuford, Lady's Island Elementary; Faye Hall, Lady's Island Middle; Marguerite Tempel, Mossy Oaks Elementary; Bonnie Pulaski, Port Royal Elementary; Toni Burnsed, Robert Smalls Middle; Carmen Bultron-Griffith, St. Helena Elementary; Sulatha Shetty, Shell Point Elementary; Patricia Collins, Whale Branch Elementary; Bernard Johnson, Whale Branch Middle; and Jamie Vaughn, district office.
BATTERY CREEK HIGH SCHOOL
• The SADD Club is fundraising by selling Krispy Kreme doughnuts. The sale ends Friday. Details: 843-322-5580, firstname.lastname@example.org
• The Parent Honor Roll recognition and graduation program will be at 7 p.m. Thursday in the Performing Arts Center. Entertainment begins at 6:45 p.m. and a reception with live music, door prizes and food will follow the ceremony.
• The PTSO meets at 6:30 p.m. Thursday in the John J. McVey Performing Arts Center.
• The BCHS Talent Showcase will be June 4 in the Performing Arts Center. Tickets are $5 in advance and $10 at the door.
• Tyler Gaines and Katherine Neal competed in the 2010 Intel International Science and Engineering Fair held May 9-15 in San Jose, Calif. Katherine competed in the animal science category and Tyler competed in the plant science category. The students were judged on their creative ability and scientific thought, as well as the thoroughness, skill and clarity shown in their projects.
BEAUFORT ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
• No school May 31.
BEAUFORT HIGH SCHOOL
• The school's Senior Awards Night will be at 7 p.m. Tuesday in The Arts Center at Beaufort High School.
• The track and field banquet will be at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the cafeteria.
• The Gospel Choir will perform at 7 p.m. Thursday. Tickets are $5 in advance and $7 the night of the show.
• Students in Jeremiah Young's High School 101 class are searching for competitors and vendors to participate in its Charity Cook-off for CAPA on Saturday in the school gym. The live cook-off, featuring Lowcountry cuisine, will begin at noon. Residents will be allowed to enter at 11 a.m. to browse a variety of vendors' tables, register for prizes and watch culinary artists compete. Proceeds will be donated to the Child Abuse Prevention Association. Admission is $2. Details: Jeremiah Young, 843-263-3152, email@example.com
• Umoja-Ujima will sponsor a talent show at 7 p.m. Saturday in the BHS gym.
BEAUFORT-JASPER ACADEMY FOR CAREER EXCELLENCE
• Perrian Rivers will be one of South Carolina's top career and technology education students recognized during the opening session of the annual Education and Business Summit on June 27 in Greenville. These 2010 high school graduates have been designated as "Technology Champions" and were selected from a pool of nominations from high schools and career and technology centers.
BEAUFORT MIDDLE SCHOOL
• Sixteen BMS students were accepted into the National Junior Honor Society and will be inducted June 3: Allison Crandall, Elizabeth Crowther, Haley Easler, Averi Graves, Sarah Holloway, Susie Houge, Andrew Jezewski, Chandaa Johnson, Phebe Martin, Frances Myrick, Bhoomi Patel, Owen Ruth, Alexandra Sebestyn, Olivia Walker, Jackson Williams and Alexandra Zapp.
• Yearbook distribution day will be June 1. Students who did not pre-pay will have an opportunity to buy one for $28.
JOSEPH S. SHANKLIN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
• Science fair judging will be Thursday.
• The achievement assemblies for grades one and two will be June 1. The first-grade assembly will be at 9:30 a.m. and the second-grade assembly will be at 1:30 p.m.
• The achievement assemblies for grades three and four will be June 2. The third-grade assembly will be 9:30 a.m. and the fourth-grade assembly will be at 1:30 p.m.
•The pre-kindergarten and kindergarten moving-up ceremony will be 1:30 p.m. June 3.
• The fifth-grade awards ceremony and achievement assembly will be 9:30 a.m. June 4.
LADY'S ISLAND MIDDLE AND INTERMEDIATE SCHOOLS
• The Cougar Ambassadors, a service club at the school, recently raised $453.31 with a Jeans Day fundraiser. The money will be donated to the American Red Cross Haiti Relief Fund.
• The top 10 accelerated readers are: Maddie Bono, Roeshawn Braswell, Anna Smith, Cierra Durrance, Will Durbin, Omar Daniels, Brianna Raiff, Cole Budi, Stewart Trask and Valya Shipsey.
• The fifth-grade overnight STEM field trip to NASA will be today and Tuesday.
• A Pizza Inn Spirit Night will be from 5-8 p.m. Tuesday. Cheerleaders will get a percent of the profits from the night's sales.
• The second deposit for cheerleader camp is due Wednesday.
• A choir concert will be at 6:30 p.m. Thursday in the gym.
• A band and strings concert will be at 7:30 p.m. Thursday in the lecture theater.
• The last day for book checkouts from the media center will be Friday.
• No school May 31.
• The UCA Cheer Clinic at the College of Charleston will be May 31. The school squad will participate.
ST. PETER CATHOLIC SCHOOL
• A campus clean-up sponsored by PalmettoPride will be Tuesday.
• A Box Tops for Education Dress-Down Day will be Wednesday.
• A kindergarten promotion ceremony will be at 10 a.m. Friday.
• The middle school will begin final exams Wednesday and finish June 1.
• The parish and school will host a Virtus training session at noon Sunday in the school library. All new volunteers must attend the training to work with youth in the parish or school. Register online at www.virtus.org or call Deacon Bill Lacombe at 843-522-9555.
• Field Day will be June 2. Contact Mrs. Coffman to volunteer.
• The last day of school, with a noon dismissal, is June 4. Extended daycare will be offered.
• The Parent-Teacher Organization is hosting its annual golf tournament at 1 p.m. June 6 at Sanctuary Golf Club at Cat Island. Volunteers and sponsors are needed. Details: 843-522-2163, firstname.lastname@example.org
SHELL POINT ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
• The third-grade field trip to the South Carolina Aquarium and Fort Sumter is today.
• The spring music program will be at 6 p.m. Tuesday in the gym.
• Pat Wilson, creator of Alphabet Junction, will speak at Kid's Club at 6 p.m. Thursday in the cafeteria.
• Students in grades three through five will perform at the Gullah Festival at 10 a.m Friday at Henry C. Chambers Waterfront Park.
To submit to Class Notes, send at least 10 days before the event date to email@example.com with Class Notes as subject line; Features, Class Notes, P.O. Box 399, Beaufort, SC 29901.