Couple dies of carbon monoxide poisoning in Sun City home

May 6, 2010 

A husband and wife died late Tuesday after they left their vehicle running in the garage of their Sun City Hilton Head home and carbon monoxide seepedthrough an open door into the house, Beaufort County deputy coroner David Ott said Thursday.

Edward Cavanaugh, 72, and his wife, Karen, 69, arrived home sometime Tuesday evening and apparently left their car running with the door to the garage open, which allowed the poisonous fumes to spread throughout the house, Ott said. The Coroner's Office has ruled the deaths as accidental, he said.

A next-door neighbor noticed Edward Cavanaugh had not picked up his newspaper Wednesday morning, so he brought the paper to the couple's door and noticed the car running, Ott said. The neighbor then called security officers, who found the couple's bodies sitting in the living room, he said.

Cassie Foss

The Island Packet is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service